Workshop - Saturday, January 18, 2020
Come learn and create a unique piece of Encaustic Art at Nancy’s Studio!
Encaustic paintings and collages are made of fused layers of a Beeswax and Damar (tree) resin mix and pigments. They can be smooth or textured. Ephemera - found objects like dried flowers, paper, fabric, seeds - photocopy transfers and pen & ink are used to transform the art into a multi-media collage.
Date and time: Saturday, January 18, 2020 • 9:30–1:00pm
Nancy’s studio: 35 Swett Ave, Portsmouth, NH
There will be two options for your “canvas,” both birch plywood: one natural wood and the other gessoe’d (white). Supplies for creating your unique encaustic piece of art are included, but feel free to bring your own items as noted below!
A few things to bring along:
• Gardening gloves or similar to protect your hands from hot wax.
• Apron if you wish to protect your clothing— I do have a couple.
• Drink— this is a warm art! We use pancake griddles to keep the wax fluid and heat guns to fuse the wax! Dress accordingly/layers.
Some items that can be incorporated into encaustic:
• Carbon based (no inkjet) photo copies* of photos, clip art, drawings, sketches, music, dictionary, books, etc. They will be reversed when applied to the wax so flip it if there is text and you want it to be readable- can do that here at the studio too.
*I do have a laser printer/photocopier that can be used to make copies.
• Fully dried leaves or flowers, seeds
• Findings like printed napkins, old coins, keys... and more!
• Stencils, rubber stamps, wire, string.
Email me any sayings, words or letters you may want to include in your piece— I will use some different typefaces as well as reverse it (so it is readable when applied to the wax) and have it ready and photocopied for the workshop. Please send me your sayings/words a week in advance of the workshop!
If you have any questions feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text (603) 781.8279
Looking forward to sharing this fun medium with you!!